2010 when Taronga staff went batty over an orphaned Flying Fox named Duruga! The fuzzy youngster was brought to Taronga Wildlife Hospital and hand-raised by keeper Tegan after his mother collided with powerlines. Flying Foxes like Duruga play a vital role in keeping native forests healthy, dispersing seeds and pollinating flowering plants. Sadly many young Flying Foxes are left orphaned after their mothers become tangled in powerlines or fruit tree netting.
Taronga is a not-for-profit organisation supporting wildlife conservation
- Ghost Bat
- Bat baby joins the group
- Bats arrive for Halloween!
- Caring for Duruga the Orphaned Bat
- Taronga welcomes first Ghost Bat pup in 15 years
- Ghostly pair born at Australian Nightlife
- Duruga Digs Mango
- This threatened species day spare a thought for your ‘little locals’
- Baby Goes Batty Over Bottle At Taronga Zoo
The first series of 6 episodes aired on Sunday nights from 3 February to 9 March 2008. The second series moved to Tuesday nights at 7:30 pm from 21 October 2008 and finished on 18 November 2008. The 3rd series airing back on the same time slot as series 2 on 12 May 2009. A fourth season began with a special one-hour episode, Miracle At The Zoo on the birth of elephant Pathi Harn on 12 April 2010.