" There are some people you meet during your life time who become long term friends, Julie was one of those – we have known each other for over 23 years, ever since 1987 when she was promoting a new group called WIRES!
The blue mountains branch was the second branch to form about a year after Sydney started, Julie then went on to set up the North West branch of WIRES.
Julie introduced me to Mega and Microbats and she also invented the dummy for flying-foxes, which we all use today.
Julie joined Ku-ring-gai Bat Colony Committee in 1989 and did educational talks to the community to raise the profile of the flying-fox and also trained many wildlife carers in NSW in both Mega and Microbats.
- Julie formed the first all-female Bat Team to set-up the Megaharp trap, band and record Flying- fox statistics at Cabramatta.
- Julie started the Cabramatta Creek Flying- fox Committee with Fairfield Council in 1995 and also instigated the weeding and re-vegetation of the site.
- Julie held an A class licence under the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme (ABBBS) she also trained other members of wildlife organisations to become bat banders.
- Julie was involved in the book” Raising Archie” by Richard Morecroft.
- Julie also worked with bat scientists in both Mega and Microbats. She has co-written papers on both species of bats.
- Julie worked for The Animal Welfare league and was on many committees regarding domestic and native animals.
In October 2010 after being ill for some months Julie was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer and passed away on the 27th December 2010. "